When we lined up for the Survivors Lap, they started with the longest time survivors at the back - 20 years, then 10, then 5 and so on. Daddy realized that Alan, as a newly diagnosed patient, would be leading the pack. When we newest patients and survivors were placed at the front behind the banner, they had us look back at all the long term survivors behind us, and I started choking up. It was incredibly moving to see all those people behind us, to see the collected strength and will that beat and continues to fight this disease. God willing, Alan will attend many Relays in the future, moving further and further to the back.

Here is Alan in his survivor's sash. The organizers had special ordered a teeny purple survivor's t-shirt for him, but it didn't arrive in time for the relay. The sash wrapped around him several times, and even the word "Survivor" was too long for his body.
Though the Relay runs 12 hours from 7 Pm to 7 AM, Daddy conspired with the rest of the team members to send me home around midnight, since I had spent so much of the past month in the hospital tending to Alan 24/7. Some of the team members were surprised that I was actually going to walk, figuring my joining was more symbolic, given the stresses our family was going through right now. As long as Alan was out of the hospital though, I was determined to take part, even if I wasn't going to do the whole 12 hours, and my fellow Relayers were emphatic that I wouldn't be letting the team down if I didn't stay the whole night. I did want to attend the Luminaria Ceremony and get at least a few laps in. Alan had quite a row of luminaria dedicated to him, some of them specially decorated by our little playgroup friends.
Our team all had lap beads - an empty necklace, bracelet or key chain to which we added a marker every time we went around the track. Some of us chose crystal or glass beads, some had letters for their children's initials or glow in the dark pony beads, some chose a single colour palette or pattern while others went with random variety. It was fun to meet up at the lap bead table and see what everyone was stringing up and how many laps had been walked. I accumulated an even 20 beads - 20 laps equalling 5 miles - enough for a small bracelet. Next year, I hope that circumstances will allow me to relay the whole night and make a necklace! It was an inspiring experience that replenished my energy for Alan's battle, and one that our family looks forward to next year.
Aww...I can totally imagine how you feel when you look back and see all the survivors. I can't wait to see Alan moves further and further down the pack in the many more years to come.
ReplyDelete