It has been a very busy weekend. After a night on the pediatric floor, we headed off to Interventional Radiology on Saturday morning so they could put tubes in Alan's kidneys to relieve the pressure. The IR resident came to tell us about the
nephrostomy - they would do an ultrasound to see how the kidneys were this morning and that would determine what tubes they would put in. The right kidney would definitely get a tube; the left one would get a tube if it was swollen as well. Otherwise, they would put a tube in the bladder to help it drain. Either way, Alan would be getting two tubes. They would be using the ultrasound to guide the needle and then stitch the tube to his skin, covering with a bandage. Then we found out that Alan would be going to ICU following the procedure, rather than the PACU or the pediatric floor. We were not expecting that, since the
last time we dealt with Interventional Radiology we went to the PACU for recovery and then the pediatric floor for observation overnight. Between the possible bowel obstruction and his high blood pressure, the docs wanted Alan to be under closer monitoring. Luckily, since the pediatric floor wasn't full we didn't have to completely move everything out of our room.
In the waiting room, the resident came out to tell us that both kidneys were swollen, so Alan would be getting the tubes in his kidneys. This will divert all the urine away from the bladder, so hopefully we can remove the foley catheter soon. There was some discussion about doing a CT for Doc HJ, but since Alan had a bowel movement that morning, they decided to wait and see rather than give him another scan.
Since we had only anticipated being away for two nights, Harold went back to San Antonio to get Kevin settled for a longer stay with friends and pack more for the rest of us. Judy stayed with Alan in ICU, speaking with Doc HJ and Doc H2. Doc HJ talked about the possible obstruction. Since Alan was sipping water with no problem by Saturday night, she was hopeful that they could turn off the suction on his NG tube to see if things were moving again. They would take an x-ray to see how things looked.
Doc H2 was happy to see that we were able to manage Alan's pain. The Fentanyl via PCA that had worked so well for Alan after his
last surgery wasn't doing much for him this time. By 2 am after consulting with the Pain Service, we switched Alan back to morphine. That seemed to do the trick and by Sunday morning his blood pressure was much better. When Doc H2 came to check on Alan she pressed him on the next step
after radiation, since we can't expect any more from the radiation treatment than slowing the tumor's growth. He talked about some of the clinical trials that he has been looking at for Alan, including the one involving amino acids, which happens to be run by Doc H3 who was the attending pediatric oncologist this weekend.
Because there is no food and no cell phones allowed in the ICU we were hoping to move back to the pediatric floor on Sunday afternoon, but Alan's blood pressure continued to fluctuate. The ICU pediatrician wanted to hold Alan one more night, but if things continued to stabilize he saw no problem with us returning to the pediatric floor on Monday.
It has been an exhausting and frustrating whirlwind of a weekend, but the important thing is that Alan is comfortable right now and everyone is working on making sure he stays that way. We also want to take a moment to thank everyone who has rallied to support us over the last few days. The texts, payers, posts on our Facebook walls and on
Alan's Angels, the gifts and help have been a much-needed practical, emotional, and spiritual boost. Thank you all, so much!