There wasn't really anything we could do except calm him. It was the continuing encroachment of the tumor causing this pressure and because he was getting saturated with CO2, giving him additional O2 would not have made him more comfortable. The opposite in fact, since hypoxia would have put him in a pain-free state.
Eventually, he just became exhausted by the effort it took to breath. Doc M2 likened the work Alan was doing to breathe to running a marathon. After five hours of fighting for breath, Alan finally slipped away shortly after 4 PM.
We were surrounded by love, both Alan's and all his angels. In the past week, we have gotten involved in a group of bereaved cancer parents who have helped us on this path that they have taken before us. The "aunties" were here to help us say good bye as Alan was taken away in Sponge Bob PJs. We spent the rest of the night crying, looking at Alan's pictures and remembering his indomitable spirit, soaking in the love, sympathy, and prayers being sent our way and self-medicating with a quarter gallon of Floresville Tin Roof Sundae and three bananas.
This morning we will try to get through our first full day without Alan. The house is too quiet.
Resting with Mommy
Daddy lifts big brother Kevin up for a kiss
Alan gives Mommy a kiss
Judy and Harold,
ReplyDeleteI am so very, very sorry. I can't even begin to imagine the pain you are feeling. I pray you will be able to find comfort. Alan was so amazing, I can't imagine how hard those hours were for you guys trying to comfort him in his worries. I am heartbroken for you guys. I will continue to pray for you.
Hugs,
Jenna
I am so touched at this momment with tears in my eyes.
ReplyDeleteI am a chinese father of 9 years old boy. I got this link through FedEx FCIF.
It is hard to lose someone you love. It is much harder when it does not follow the natural order of things.
You and your wife are great parents. The angel boy left with your deep love. He is happy in the heaven.
God will bless you.
Wang Peng
Judy, please accept my deepest condolences on this unimaginable loss. From my vantage point thousands of miles away, it was clear that you, Harold, Kevin and especially Alan were incredibly courageous throughout his battle. I'm glad that you were able to create so many wonderful memories in the time you had together - he will always be with you. aoe, Alison
ReplyDelete